Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is taken from Woman's World Magazine. The nutritional information posted is inaccurate. I believe that when I include "or" in the list of ingredients, all of the options are added together.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 ounces chicken broth or 32 ounces vegetable broth or 32 ounces beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups mixed vegetables (mushrooms, okra, kale, zucchini, bok choy, artichoke hearts, broccoli, carrots, celery, peppers, tom)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb cooked turkey or 1 lb ham or 1 lb chicken breasts or 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb tofu
- 1 cup beans or 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup quinoa or 1 cup orzo pasta or 1 cup pasta
- 1⁄2 cup parsley or 1⁄2 cup mint or 1⁄2 cup cilantro or 1⁄2 cup basil
- lemon wedge
- In a large pot, heat oil.
- Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute about 1 minute.
- Add broth, water, vegetables and seasonings except for parsley.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20-60 minutes.
- Add protein and starch and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Stir in parsley or other garnish.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze in lemon juice and serve.
THANK YOU for posting this. I had been using this recipe directly from the magazine but I have not been able to find my magazine. This soup totally works. I lost 10 pounds in about two weeks on this soup and I was only eating it once a day. It's delicious and I am so glad you posted the recipe!