Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I found this on allrecipes. I was looking for a healthier version of the soup and found this one. It is not as thick as others (hence their higher calories), but it is jammed packed with flavor.....and easy to make! (With all the recipes here, I looked to see if this one was already here and I didn't see it, I apoligze if this is a repeat).
- 1 lb shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, mashed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chili peppers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen corn
- 7 corn tortillas
- canola oil
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low 6-8 hrs or high 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg.
- Lightly brush tortillas with oil, cut into thin strips and spread on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes Sprinkle on top of finished soup.
THANK YOU for posting this recipe!!! I was looking for a lighter/healthier version of chicken tortilla soup... and this is it! I followed the recipe exactly except I used Fire Roasted Mexican diced tomatoes because it is what I had on hand. I didn't have canned green chillies so I seeded and finely chopped a fresh jalapeno. Initially, I was concerned that it was too thin, but, I restrained my urge to tweak and I am glad I didn't mess with it. This is definitely a keeper!