Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
Great-tasting healthy muffins with pumpkin, applesauce, and banana. Freeze well for a quick breakfast or snack!
Top Review by joanne.smolka
These muffins are delightfully spicy. I made a couple of changes. I used buckwehat flour instead of flour, fiberex (apple fiber) instead of oat bran, honey instead of sugar. I also added about a tablespoon of oil because it's easier to get the honey out of the measuring cup that way. They taste a bit like soda, so I think I will reduce the amount of baking powder or baking soda next time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup applesauce
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease or line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine flours, bran, oats, baking powder, spices, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using whisk or spoon, stir until well mixed.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except nuts) in a large mixing bowl; beat until smooth.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture. Once mixtures are combined, stir in walnuts.
- Spoon into prepared pans or tins (fill cups until just about full).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack as soon as they come out of the oven.