1/1 Photo of Healthy Fish Tacos
These fish tacos are great. Recipe source: local newspaper
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into eighths
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- kosher salt
- 3 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- hot sauce
- 1 lb tilapia fillet, cut into 8 pieces
- whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used canola)
- 4 (8 inch) corn tortillas
- jalapeno pepper, sliced, garnish
- fresh cilantro, chopped, garnish
- 1Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- 2In a food processor, combine the avocado, buttermilk, 1 garlic clove, lime juice and salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- 3In a medium bowl combine the coleslaw ingredients (cabbage, remaining garlic and next 4 ingredients (-hot sauce) and the remaining garlic. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 4Heat a heavy skillet (I used cast iron) and toast tortillas one at a time, 30 seconds or so per side - as they cook place them on a sheet of foil - wrap foil around them and place in oven to keep warm.
- 5In a pie pan combine 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Dredge each piece of fish in mixture, shaking off excess.
- 6In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and add half of the fish to the pan, cook turning once until golden. Transfer fish to an oven-safe place and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remainder of the fish.
- 7To serve: top each tortilla with a bit of the avocado sauce, then a piece of fish and then with the cabbage mixture (which should have been drained or excess liquid). Serve with jalapenos and cilantro.
Browse Our Top Tilapia Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tilapia Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Fish Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.3
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 137.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 27.5 g