Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found on the American Institute for Cancer Research's website. A healthy, good-tasting enchilada. By the way, these enchiladas turn out huge, so one will most likely be enough for one person. Also, this does take a while to make, but it's worth it. One problem with these enchiladas is that they're high in sodium, but you can easily leave out some salt or reduce the amount of sauce you put on the chicken.
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (12 oz.)
- 4 small whole wheat tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced green chilis
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with oil spray. Place tomatoes, onion and garlic on sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until onion and garlic are golden. Remove vegetables, cool, and transfer to a blender. Add chili pepper, cumin, salt and pepper, and puree until smooth. Set a aside.
- Prepare enchiladas: Combine paprika, cumin, and chili powder, in small bowl. Mix in oil and just enough water to form a paste. Rube paste on chicke. Set chicken aside for 15-30 minutes. Grill or broil chicken 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until juice runs clear when pricked with a fork. Cool. Cut into thin strips.
- Lay tortillas on a work surface. Cover each with 1/4 of the chicken, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 2 tablespoons green chile. Roll up and place in a 9 by 13 inch baking pan, seam-side down. Cover with sauce. Bake at 350 degrees 17-22 minutes or until sauce bubbles.
- Enjoy :].
This recipe was excellent! They tasted very similar to the famous Chuychanga at Chuy's here in Austin- without all the guilt :-) Next time I will add some cayenne to spice it up a bit. Thanks for posting this recipe!
Immense flavor! I added a little extra spice and put some extra peppers into the sauce. I forgot to get cheese but they still turned out spectacular. As the article says, the portions are large, I ignored this since they are usually wrong but this one is right! I will be recommending this and making it in the future!
I doubled the recipe had 6 girls over and it was a hit.....we also had left overs for my husband.
all the ingredients were so fresh and everyone requested the recipe to take home....So with that being said, I have to give it a great review.
Loved it...I definitely added sour cream for a side and we made corn salad....Everything together was awesome!