Recipe by Jo
This is the best banana bread. It's also low in fat and calories. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is moist and not rubbery like other low-fat baked products can be. My family raved about it. I found it from Betty Crocker's website.
Top Review by semisweet
really really good! using the eggbeaters and applesauce makes this recipe low fat, but i think it also makes it better! the applesauce replaces oil and makes the recipe stay moist and yummy for a long time. it also tastes lighter, meaning not so heavy, which is good. i really prefer this to regular banana bread.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (such as Eggbeaters)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed, ripe bananas (, , 3 to 4 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, , if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease bottom only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan 9 by 5 by 3 inches.
- Mix sugar, applesauce, and margarine in large bowl.
- Stir in egg product until well blended.
- Add bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until just moistened.
- Stir in nuts (if desired).
- Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack.
- Cool completely.