Yummy Healthy Banana Bread
I made this recipe twice in 2 days as my friends and family all enjoyed it so much. It makes a moist, chewy yet soft bread/ cake with lots of banana flavour but not too sweet which suits my taste better. No eggs, no butter, no oil, quick and easy.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- cinnamon and brown sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven at 160 deg C (325 F). Grease 7X7" tin or a 9X5" bread tin. 7x7" cooks faster.
- Mix applesauce and sugar in a bowl. If using unsweetened applesauce, add about 2 tablespoons of sugar extra.
- Add bananas and mix. Add flour, salt, vanilla essence and baking soda. Mix quickly but thoroughly.
- Pour into tin. Sprinkle with some brown sugar and cinnamon powder. Put into oven immediately.
- Bake till a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean (A little mashed banana on the knife is ok as there's so much fruit. If in doubt, taste to see it doesn't taste of raw flour).
- Ovens vary so always check about 5mins before when you think it will be ready. About 50mins in a fan-assisted oven for 7X7" tin.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Yowza! What a tasty banana bread! Following the suggestion from the reviewers, I added cinnamon to the batter (I won't next time, though - it masks the banana flavour). I added one egg and two tablespoons of vegetable oil to this recipe, just to ensure proper rise and no tough product, but I will try omitting the egg next time. This was a spectacular recipe. The brown sugar/cinnamon topping alone was worth the cost of admission. Try this recipe! It rocks!