Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
An attempt to reduce fat and sodium content in a family favorite.
- 1⁄2 lb 90% lean ground beef (90/10)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced medium
- parmesan cheese, grated, garnish
- In medium bowl combine, meat, egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, dried basil & onion powder. Shape into 1/2" balls, set aside.
- In large soup pot, heat broth to boiling; stir in carrots, orzo and meatballs.
- Return to a gentle boil, cooking for 10 minutes until orzo is tender; stirring frequently.
- Add spinach.
- Serve with grated Parmesan sprinkled over top.