Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Can't have a plate lunch in Hawaii without this salad. Potatoes make it very hardy and the peas, carrots and olives give it a nice color. Best Foods or Hellmans Mayo is the only kind we use.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni (one lrg. bag, not sure of oz.)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellmans)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 large onion (sweet kind is better)
- 2 carrots (shredded)
- 3 potatoes (small chunks)
- 4 -5 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds or 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 ounce black olives, sliced (small can, not sure of oz.)
- Boil the noodles, potatoes, and eggs separately.
- Drain when cooked through and cool.
- In a large bowl, put noodles and cubed potatoes and add mayo to consistency you like.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Shred the carrots and add both to bowl.
- Slice hard boiled eggs and add to bowl.
- You can use celery (thinly sliced) or the celery seed for a milder celery taste - add to mixture.
- Add the soyu sauce and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Add the peas and gently mix.
- Put black olives on top.
- You may need to add more mayo and/or soyu the next day - its always better the next day.
- Enjoy and Aloha.
This is fabulous! I love all the veggies in it, well except the olives. I put them on top of individual plates because I don't like them. But they look nice. I used Hellman's mayo and a Lite Soy Sauce. I used a huge Vidalia onion, which are in season now. If you buy them in bulk in season, you can save them in a pair of pantyhose legs. Just drop one in, then twist it and tie it in a knot, then drop then next and repeat. Then when you want an onion, cut one off from the bottom up! :) Ok, back to the recipe at hand. I did add a little Miracle Whip and brown mustard after I had mixed it all up and found it needed a little 'something'. I also added lots of black pepper for the potatoes (my tastes). I used small red potatoes, so I didn't have to cut them, just peeled a strip from the middle. I am definitely making this again for Memorial Day BBQ. Thanks Zeph's Wife!
Very nice summer dish, but needs more seasoning as it is a little bland.