Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon
- 24 large shrimp, peeled
- 118.29 ml unbleached white flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 709.77 ml desiccated coconut
- 88.74 ml lard or 88.74 ml goose fat
- 236.59 ml sweet and sour sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 29.58 ml coconut or 29.58 ml maple sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh limes or 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml warm water
- 103.53 ml naturally fermented soy sauce
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Mix flour, sea salt and pepper on a large plate.
- lightly beat egg whites in a medium bowl.
- spread coconut on another large plate.
- dip shrimp in flour then in egg whites.
- roll each shrimp in coconut until well covered.
- heat lard in a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat and fry shrimp until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Soy Sauce:.
- Mix all ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- makes 1 cup.
- Serve shrimp with sweet and sour soy sauce.