Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon
Make and share this Hawaiian Coconut Shrimp With Sweet and Sour Soy Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 24 large shrimp, peeled
- 118.29 ml unbleached white flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 709.77 ml desiccated coconut
- 88.74 ml lard or 88.74 ml goose fat
- 236.59 ml sweet and sour sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 29.58 ml coconut or 29.58 ml maple sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh limes or 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml warm water
- 103.53 ml naturally fermented soy sauce
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Mix flour, sea salt and pepper on a large plate.
- lightly beat egg whites in a medium bowl.
- spread coconut on another large plate.
- dip shrimp in flour then in egg whites.
- roll each shrimp in coconut until well covered.
- heat lard in a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat and fry shrimp until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Soy Sauce:.
- Mix all ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- makes 1 cup.
- Serve shrimp with sweet and sour soy sauce.