Recipe by jharvey
A co-worker passed this recipe along from his sister. The sausage is what separates this from all other shrimp and grits. If you make it for a brunch you won't have to do much else, just some fruit, coffee, juice and biscuits.
- 1 1⁄2 cups grits
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 lbs peeled shrimp
- 1 lb chorizo sausage or 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄3 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup self rising flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring 2 2/3 cups of water to a boil. Add grits. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add 1/2 and 1/2. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally. (If grits get too thick, add more 1/2 & 1/2).
- Slice sausage. Place in a large skillet,over medium/medium high heat and cook. Put in bowl and set aside, retaining drippings in the pan. Add peppers, onion and garlic to pan. Cooking for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add shrimp, and cook until just pink. Sprinkle flour over mixture, stir. Add broth and stir until thickened. Stir in Cajun or Italian seasoning. Add more water if mixture becomes too thick.
- Dump shrimp and veggies into grits, stir. Add 1/2 of cheese and stir. Put into a ungreased 2.5 - 3 quart casserole. Put remaining cheese on top.
- Put into 350?° oven to heat through and melt cheese.