Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A happy mixture of hot chocolate, strong coffee, sugar, brandy and whipped cream.
- 2 cups hot cocoa, cooled
- 1 cup cold strong coffee
- 3⁄4 cup up brandy
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 4 cups milk
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- FOR THE HAPPY MARRIAGE: Combine the chocolate and coffee in a mixing bowl, then sweeten to taste. Whip vigorously with a wire whisk until frothy. Stir in the brandy, then pour into 2 tall glasses. Spoon whipped cream on top and serve long spoons for stirring. This may be served hot in mugs, if desired. This makes 3 servings.
- HOT CHOCOLATE: Scald the milk with the vanilla pod, then remove the vanilla pod.
- Place the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler and melt. Since chocolate scorches easily, it is best to melt it in a double boiler, which takes only ten to twelve minutes. Stir in the sugar and salt and place the top of the double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water slowly, stirring constantly, then stir until blended. Add the milk gradually, stirring constantly, then leave over the hot water for 1 minute. Remove the top of the double boiler from the hot water. Beat the Hot Chocolate with a large wire whisk until frothy. Pour into cups and garnish with dollops of whipped cream. This makes about fourteen 1/2 cup servings.
- The Creative Cooking Course.