Recipe by vrvrvr
This is my variation on "Grandma Dinner" served at my mom's house to her happy, hungry grandkids. It is homey, comforting fare... not gourmet, not too spicy, but quite satisfying when you're in the mood for a delicious ground beef casserole. Perfect with a hunk of crusty bread and a salad.
- 226.79 g curly egg noodles
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 1 medium purple onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3.69 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 411.06 g can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 29.58 ml water
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh basil (or 1 t. dried)
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 236.59 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain noodles according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef, onion, red pepper and garlic over medium-high heat. Drain fat.
- To ground beef mixture in skillet, add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water, oregano, basil and chili powder. Stir to mix well.
- Add noodles to ground beef mixture. Mix.
- In buttered 9x13" baking dish, layer half of ground beef/noodle mixture.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over all evenly.
- Top with remaining ground beef/noodle mixture.
- Cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.