- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, thoroughly washed
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, let the oil get warmed.
- Add the meat, onion, garlic, celery, and carrot; stir/saute for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spoon--cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for about 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and throw away.