Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Make a day ahead and let the flavors meld.
Make and share this Hamburger-Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, thoroughly washed
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, let the oil get warmed.
- Add the meat, onion, garlic, celery, and carrot; stir/saute for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spoon--cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for about 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and throw away.
Great soup, quick to make, delicious (even if you eat it on the same day!) and oh so satisfying. Will get made again! Thank you ratherbeswimmin'!
Great soup!! very similar to a soup I have been making for years very yummie ...Thank's for posting ....Nurse Di
This is a wonderful soup. DH had about 4 bowls. I used fresh tomatoes since they're so plentiful right now. I also replaced the barley with rice as per DH's preference. Thankyou for posting.