1 hr 30 mins
An unusual fish soup brought from the old country. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Posted as a historical novelty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs eel, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup white wine (Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio are very nice, but whatever white wine you have is fine)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 bunch pot herbs
- 1 teaspoon mint, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 cup peas
- 6 pears, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1Have eels cleaned, skinned and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 2Combine 2 cups water, wine, vinegar, 2 sprigs parsley, onion, one carrot, bay leaf, peppercorns and salt; bring to a boil and cook for five minutes.
- 3Add eel and cook slowly until fish is tender.
- 4Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large kettle; add the 1 1/2 tablelspoons flour and cook until blended.
- 5Add beef stock, pot herbs, mint and celery; cook slowly for one hour.
- 6Cook cauliflower and peas in boiling salted water until crisp-tender.
- 7Make a syrup of 1/2 cup water and sugar; cook pears until tender.
- 8About 1/2 hour before serving make dumplings: heat milk and butter, beat eggs and yolk and add flour combined wit hot milk.
- 9Drop from spoon and cook in boiling salted water about 20 minutes.
- 10To serve, first remove eel from liquid in which it was cooked.
- 11Strain liquid and add half of it to meat broth.
- 12Drain the cooked vegetables and add to meat broth.
- 13Place eel, pears and dumplings in a large tureen and pour soup over all.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Aalsuppe - Hamburg Eel Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1047 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.0
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 313.4 mg
- Sodium 1247.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 54.4 g
- Protein 39.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: