Recipe by Queen Dana
By Bruce Aidells. Published Feb. 2010 Bon Appetit. Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Ham-Artichoke-and-Potato-Gratin-357260#ixzz1gvNXQxPZ
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only, about 4 large)
- coarse kosher salt
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced (1/8 to 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ham slices, 1/8-inch-thick
- 2 (8 ounce) boxes frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, halved lengthwise
- 2 1⁄2 cups packed coarsely grated comte cheese (about 10 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Set aside.
- Cover bottom of baking dish with 1/3 of potato slices, overlapping as needed. Layer 1/3 of ham over. Scatter 1/3 of leeks over, then 1/3 of artichoke hearts. Measure 3/4 cup cheese; set aside. Sprinkle half of remaining cheese over. Repeat layering 1 time with potato slices, ham, leeks, artichokes, and cheese. Cover with remaining potato slices, ham, leeks, and artichoke hearts.
- Whisk broth and next 4 ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat until flour dissolves. Bring mixture to boil; cook until smooth and thickened, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Pour over gratin. Sprinkle 3/4 cup cheese over. Cover gratin with foil, tenting in center to prevent cheese from sticking. Bake gratin 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are soft, topping is browned, and juices are bubbling, about 50 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.