Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This savory dish can be prepared the night before. Add the topping just before baking to keep it crisp. This can also be used as a delicious main course for dinner.
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces thinly sliced cooked ham
- 8 ounces thinly sliced swiss cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In ungreased 13X9 inch glass baking dish, arrange half the bread slices, overlapping as needed. Brush bread in dish with mustard. Top evenly with ham and swiss cheese, overlapping as needed. Top with remaining bread slices, arranging them over first layer of bread slices to make sandwiches.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs and milk with wire whisk until well blended. Carefully pour over sandwiches. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour but no longer than 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, parsley and butter.
- Heat oven to 375. Sprinkle crumb topping over casserole. Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes or until sandwiches are puffed and golden brown.