Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderfull combination of savory and sweet flavors. Serve with asparagus topped with lemon, butter and parmesan cheese or a green salad.
- 3 cups cooked ground ham
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Combine ham, egg, milk, bread crumbs,onion and worcestershire sauce, blend thoroughly.
- Pat ham mixture into a 9" pie dish.
- Combine sweet potatoes with with melted butter mixed with hot sauce and spread over ham mixture.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, dot with butter and bake 30 mins or until bubbly.
This is a great recipe. I know this sounds odd, but we made it for brunch and had it (small portions) with some fresh fruit and scrambled eggs. It is very filling, but has a relatively modest amount of added fat or sugar (although it still has that salty-sweet thing going with the sweet potatoes and ham). I didn't have Tabasco sauce, but I did have some Busha Browne's Pepper Sherry that I substituted. I need to remember to press the ham mixture more firmly into the pie plate, it did fall apart quite a bit during serving, but I think it was my error. Next time I roast sweet potatoes, I'm making extra so that we can have this delicious pie! Thank you for posting this, it was a huge hit.
This was such a delicious recipe! We didn't have Italian bread crumbs so we used a cup of Rice Crispies instead and they worked just fine...we also left out the hot sauce as a personal preference. Also, we just mashed 3 sweet potatoes and that was enough to make two pies....we are so glad we made extra because now we have leftovers! We will definitely be making this one again.
The kids couldn't agree if they liked it, but they prefer mac'n'cheese so what do they know. I really liked it and ended up eating half myself! (The kids gave me their plates! I substituted mustard for the hot sauce and used soy milk and gluten free breadcrumbs, but I think it probably tasted similar to the original! Yum. Mary