Top Review by Barb G.
Delicious, we really liked the stew, very easy to make. we love cabbage and this another good way to fix it. I had ham slices frozen in freezer. Served it with a green salad with fruit.Thank you for the recipe.
- 4 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cubed cooked ham (1 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups sliced carrots (1 inch thick slices)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 packets instant beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5 quart saucepan or Dutch oven heat margarine until bubbly and hot.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is softened.
- Add ham and mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage, carrots, bay leaf, caraway seed and pepper and continue sauteing for 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in water and broth, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in dissolved cornstarch and let simmer, uncovered, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.