Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Your basic recipe for Bean and Ham soup with some flair. Short cut method that uses a can of cooked beans instead of dry beans. This soup is good, really good. Tastes like you slaved away at it all day. Please note that if you don't use low sodium chicken broth and chicken bouillon cubes your soup will taste too salty! Enjoy.
- 6 cups swanson low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) cancooked great northern beans, rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup petite diced tomato (I buy a 14.5 ounce can of petite diced tomatos southwest style and use about 1/2 the can)
- 4 cups water
- 1 large meaty ham bone
- 2 -3 low sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dry rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh celery leaves, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (for sauteing veggies, ham, and potato)
- In a large pot combine chicken broth, water, ham bone, chicken bouillon cubes and all dry seasonings and bring to a boil on the stove for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a separate pan, sauté onions, carrots, and celery in oil and add to soup.
- Sauté potato and garlic together in oil and add to soup.
- Add celery and cilantro leaves to soup.
- Stir soup and simmer 30 more minutes.
- Pull ham bone out of soup, cool, and slice/pull meat off bone and add to soup. I usually get about 1 cup of meat out of this.
- Sauté remaining cubed ham in leftover oil and add to soup.
- Add beans, and petite diced tomatoes to soup. Cover and simmer an additional 30 minute.
- Great served with hot buttered French bread.