Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooking Light April 1995
Make and share this Ham and Asparagus Risotto recipe from Food.com.
- sliced asparagus (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice or 1 cup other short-grain rice
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped ham (about 6 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- Combine 1 cup water, the wine, and broth in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot.
- Add mushrooms, green onions, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup warm broth mixture and ham; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total).
- Add asparagus during the last 4 minutes of cooking time. Remove from heat; stir in parsley and thyme. Serve immediately.
I was hoping for more from this. It was rather bland, and should've had cream or even just milk to achieve the consistency I expect from a risotto.