1/7 Photos of Halloween Monster of a Cake
Rollin in the Dough!'s Note:
I made this for Halloween Night and my guests were so impressed. My dad couldn't stop raving about it, he thought I bought it from a bakery or Cake Boss! The pistachio filling is soooo good. I serve with Blue Bunny Pistachio Almond ice cream, yum! Please read directions throughly before starting the tips will help. Recipe from Phyllis Hoffman "Celebrate" Halloween Edition
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes pistachio flavored instant pudding mix
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Chocolate Ganache Icing
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or 12 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate, good quality Ghiradelli
- 6 ounces milk chocolate chips, good quality Ghiradelli
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Kahlua, mocha flavored, coffee-flavored liquer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon mexican vanilla
- 1 1/2-2 cups chopped pistachios
- 2Preheat oven to 350.
- 3Spray 4, 8-9" round cake pans with nonstick spray and flour.
- 4Line bottom of pans with parchment paper, spray parchment; set aside.
- 5Prepare devil's food cake mix according to package directions (I listed the ing. for Betty Crocker cake mix, not sure if all brands use the same ing.)Divide between 2 pans and bake according to package directions.
- 6Cool COMPLETELY.
- 7Prepare white cake mix according to package directions, add green food coloring.
- 8Divide batter between 2 remaining pans and bake according to package directions.
- 9Cool COMPLETELY.
- 10*Tips* I cut off the rounded tops of cakes to even them out and then put in freezer so when I frost the crumbles will not get in frosting. Put a sheet of wax paper on cake stand or plate then put cake layers on, when you are done just pull out the wax paper and your plate will be clean. Put the top of cakes facing down so you have a nice flat area to spread filling and frost top layer.
- 11Spread Pistachio filling evenly between layers (about 1 1/8-1/4c each).
- 12Spread Chocolate Ganache Icing evenly over top and sides of cake, if icing sets up on cake before you can blend it all put cake in oven on WARM setting for a bit to soften then blend top and sides well.
- 13Garnish with chopped pistachios.
- 14Pistachio Filling:.
- 15In a lg bowl, combine pudding mix, cream, sour cream, milk and powdered sugar.
- 16Beat at med speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, refrigerate at least one hour or until ready to use.
- 17Chocolate Ganache Icing:.
- 18In a lg bowl, place chocolate; in a lg saucepan combine cream, butter, liquer and vanilla.
- 19Bring to a boil over med-high heat; pour over chocolate whisking until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- 20Refrigerate for 45 min to an hour until spreading consistency is reached.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halloween Monster of a Cake
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1322.6
- Calories from Fat 810
- Total Fat 90.0 g
- Saturated Fat 40.6 g
- Cholesterol 237.9 mg
- Sodium 980.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 88.5 g
- Protein 15.2 g