Recipe by Chef Dee
This recipe comes from the very popular Company's Coming cookbook series.
Top Review by syl1969
Made this recipe back in the 80s (found it in a magazine Land 'O Lake butter ad) and I've been using it ever since. Taste is so much better than just melting candy caramels. I dip the bottoms in chopped salted peanuts and then place the apples in cupcake papers (the foil ones). Always a hit!!
- 8 -10 firm apples
- 8 -10 wooden sticks
- 1 1⁄3 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash,dry and polish apples.
- Remove stems and insert wooden sticks.
- Remove blossoms.
- Put milk, syrup and sugar into heavy saucepan.
- Heat and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Boil, stirring continually, until thermometer reaches soft ball stage- 240 degrees, or until a bit dropped into ice water forms a soft ball that will flatten easily.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Dip apples to coat, holding over saucepan to drain.
- Place saucepan over heat to thin as needed.
- Place apples stick side up, on greased pan or tray.
- Makes 8-10 caramel apples.