Recipe by lindseylcw
From Terre a Terre delicious spiced halloumi served on a bed of sweet lemony onions. Needs to marinate for 24 hours for best results.
Top Review by Helena Fleur
I ate this dish at Terre a Terre years ago and thought it was just amazing which is why I was looking for the recipe when prepping for a BBQ (2 vegetarian friends were coming). Thanks so much for posting!! Great success with carnivores and veggies alike. Should have made more!!
- 750 g halloumi cheese
- 150 g red onions
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caster sugar
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
for the marinade
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic puree
- 3 teaspoons chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 150 ml yogurt
- 50 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the halloumi into 18 cubes rinse in cold water and drain.
- Next prepare the marinade, heat the oil in a small stainless steel saucepan and warm all the spices together, stirring constantly - DO NOT let burn.
- Put this spice mix into a bowl and stir in the garlic puree, mint, lime, yogurt and water. Mix well.
- Add the halloumi to the marinade and make sure every piece is fully coated. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Segment the onions by cutting in half crossways, put halves flat side down and cut each half into 4 chunks. Take each chunk and separate out the onion layers into individual pieces.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and put in the onion pieces, boil for about 5 mins until soft. Remove from heat, drain and, while still hot, toss in the seasoned lemon juice - made by mixing the lemon juice, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Leave to marinate for 15 mins then drain.
- Drain the marinated halloumi and tread onto skewer (you will need 6) then thread 3 pieces of onion and another halloumi till you have 3 pieces of halloumi on each skewer finish off with a tomato.
- Griddle when ready for no more than 30-40 seconds on each side.
- Serve on the remaining onions and plenty of green crispy salad.