Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a green variation of the hundreds of gumbo recipes that utilizes frozen varieties of greens. You may use fresh greens if you have access to them. Originally from an October 1980 issue of Bon Apetit that showcased Creole dishes in an article titled"Creole Cooking at the Source". Cornbread is a great accompaniment with this!
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen chopped mustard greens
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen chopped turnip greens
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen chopped collard greens
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 quarts water (8 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb veal stew meat, well trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4 lb ham, well trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature (1/2 stick)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cooked rice
- file powder (optional)
- additional hot pepper sauce
- Combine first 11 items in Dutch oven or other large pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer while preparing remainder of recipe.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, green pepper and celery and saute until limp.
- Add to greens, stirring to blend well.
- Heat oil in same small skillet.
- Saute veal and ham in small batches until browned;add to Dutch oven.
- When all meat has been added, simmer 1 hour.
- Add green onion,garlic, parsley, pepper sauce, salt and pepper and mix well. (if desired remove about 1 quart gumbo, puree in blender and return to Dutch oven.).
- Simmer about 1 1/2 hours.
- Combine remaining butter with flour and mix to a smooth paste.Add a small amount at a time to gumbo and stir until well blended.
- Cook another 30 minutes.
- Serve over about 1/2 cup rice in soup bowls.
- Top each bowl with a sprinkle of file' powder, if desired, and serve with additional hot pepper sauce.