3 hrs 30 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is a green variation of the hundreds of gumbo recipes that utilizes frozen varieties of greens. You may use fresh greens if you have access to them. Originally from an October 1980 issue of Bon Apetit that showcased Creole dishes in an article titled"Creole Cooking at the Source". Cornbread is a great accompaniment with this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped mustard greens
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped turnip greens
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped collard greens
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 quarts water (8 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb veal stew meat, well trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 lb ham, well trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature (1/2 stick)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cooked rice
- file powder (optional)
- additional hot pepper sauce
- 1Combine first 11 items in Dutch oven or other large pot.
- 2Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer while preparing remainder of recipe.
- 3Melt 1/4 cup butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- 4Add onion, green pepper and celery and saute until limp.
- 5Add to greens, stirring to blend well.
- 6Heat oil in same small skillet.
- 7Saute veal and ham in small batches until browned;add to Dutch oven.
- 8When all meat has been added, simmer 1 hour.
- 9Add green onion,garlic, parsley, pepper sauce, salt and pepper and mix well. (if desired remove about 1 quart gumbo, puree in blender and return to Dutch oven.).
- 10Simmer about 1 1/2 hours.
- 11Combine remaining butter with flour and mix to a smooth paste.Add a small amount at a time to gumbo and stir until well blended.
- 12Cook another 30 minutes.
- 13Serve over about 1/2 cup rice in soup bowls.
- 14Top each bowl with a sprinkle of file' powder, if desired, and serve with additional hot pepper sauce.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gumbo Z'herbes
Serving Size: 1 (584 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.0
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 106.7 mg
- Sodium 748.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 26.1 g