Prep 20 hrs
Cook 11 hrs
This recipe is from UNCLE BUBBA'S SAVANNAH SEAFOOD by Paula Deen's brother, Bubba. His recipe is quite lengthy but good.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper (about 1/4 pepper)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced cooked smoked sausage
- 3 cups shrimp stock
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 tablespoon shrimp base
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning (available in the spice aisle in the grocery store)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarsley ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file (optional, depending on how thick you want it) (optional)
- 1 cup sliced okra (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup chopped canned tomato with juice
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (scallion)
- cooked white rice (optional)
- Make a roux: In a large heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt 1/2 cup of the butter. Add the flour, and cook on low heat for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the roux is dark brown. Brown does not mean burnt; if you burn the roux you have to throw it out and start over again. Remove about 1 tablespoon of the roux and set it aside.
- In small saute pan, over low heat melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, sweat the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic until the vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent. Add the vegetables to the roux.
- In the pan you used to sweat the vegetables, saute the smoked sausage until tender and add it to the vegetable and roux mixture.
- Add the shrimp stock, clam juice, shrimp base, parsley,Cajun seasoning, thyme, basil, peppers, bay leaves, gumbo file, okra, and tomatoes, and stir to mix. Simmer on medium-low heat until thick, about 1 hour.(If you are using fozen okra, add 3 to 4 minutes cooking time.).
- Before serving, remove the bay leaves and add the remaining roux. Cook for at least 5 minutes on low heat. Add the green onion and serve immediately, over the white rice if you like.
This recipe was so good!! It had great flavor and the right amount of spice. I added shredded chicken, crab, and shrimp to mines and its wonderful!!
This is sooooooo good. I made this for my family and we loved it. It was a bit light, cuz I didn't let the roux cook long enough (my fault not recipes) but it didn't alter the taste at all!!! I added smoked sausage, shrimp, crab and oysters. We loved it. Next time I'm going to add more okra, but otherwise will follow the recipe. So so so good. Thankyou mightyro for sharing this with us. Great Gumbo recipe.