Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a long time favorite standby. One of my husband's top requests.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or bacon drippings, if you have them)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1⁄2 lb cubed ham (preferably Cure 81 or other cured ham)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups converted rice (raw)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh shrimp or 1 1⁄2 lbs frozen raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Saute onion, garlic, green pepper and celery in butter or bacon grease in large heavy pan over moderate heat for 12 minutes or until onion is golden brown.
- Add parsley, ham, thyme and bay leaves.
- Fry, stirring often for another 5 minutes.
- Add pepper sauce, salt tomatoes, tomato sauce and the water.
- Simmer for five minutes.
- Add rice, adjusting heat so liquid boils very gently, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp to float on top (don't mix in- it's intended to steam on the top), re-cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes (depends on size of shrimp) or until shrimp are cooked, rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Taste for salt and pepper needed.
- Toss lightly and serve.
Great taste and easy to make. We'll be making this again!
Very good Jabalaya. I usually prefer "Brown" Jambalaya, but this was very good. Will be making again. In my house it made way more than 4 - 6 servings. I used Tasso Ham, Cajun Smoked Sausage, a piece of left-over chicken and some fresh jumbo Gulf Shrimp. Very Tasty for sure. Made for Rajun/Cajun/Southern Photo Tag Game 2009.
Wow! What a great taste! I followed PanNan's directions exactly and they couldn't have been simpler to follow! What a great dish! It's no wonder this is one of your husband's top requests - I know it will be one of my husband's too!! This recipe should serve 4 very hungry people easily! Thanks!.....Oh, did I mention, WOW!!