Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Created by pastry chef Cory Barrett. Similar to Ben & Jerry's "Black and Tan" flavor. Food & Wine Magazine, Feb 2008.
- Combine Guinness, cream and milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large heat-proof bowl. Slowly add the hot Guinness cream, whisking constantly until well-blended.
- Strain back into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 6 minutes, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not let boil.
- Set a medium bowl inside a large bowl filled with ice water. Pour the custard into the medium bowl. Stir occasionally until the custard is cold, about 30 minutes. Change the ice as needed.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze per manufacturer's instructions. Pack into an airtight container and place into freezer until firm, about 4 hours.
- Serve with chocolate-covered pretzels.
I'm sure this tastes good, but that's quite a bit of cholesterol and saturated fat for just one serving of ice cream. Where's the low-fat version?
This had an excellent flavor and was pretty easy to make. A little sweet with a nice mellow Guinness taste. Thanks for posting. I will make it again.