1 hr 30 mins
Chef Johnny Ringo's Note:
This is a fantastic mac and cheese recipe, with grown up flavors...you've got to give it a try. I made it last year for a dinner party, and after a year of people asking for the recipe (It really is that good!) I decided to just put it on Zaar. The recipe comes from the Fall 2007 edition of The Best of Fine Cooking magazine. This serves 8 people as a main course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 ounces gruyere cheese, coarsely grated (about 1 3/4 cup, lightly packed)
- 1/2 lb blue cheese, crumbled (Maytag blue suggested, about 2 cups)
- 1 lb penne rigate, dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 11 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into 1/2 inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped fresh
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 1/2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated (scant 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1Heat oven to 350°F.
- 2Put a large pot of well salted water on to boil.
- 3Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium low heat to just below a simmer. Remove from heat and cover to keep hot.
- 4Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.
- 5add the onion and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 7Gradually whisk in the hot milk, bring to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes, whisking frequently, until thickened and smooth.
- 8Season with 1 tsp salt, the nutmeg, tabasco and pepper to taste.
- 9Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the gruyere and blue cheese.
- 10Cook the pasta in the boiling water to al dente, following the package directions. Drain well and return to the pot.
- 11Toss the lemon zest and half of the Monterey Jack cheese into the pasta while it's still hot; add the cheese sauce and quickly toss to combine.
- 12Stir in the parsley and thyme and transfer half of the pasta to a large 3 qt shallow cassserole or lasagna pan.
- 13Sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese and half of the Parmigiano; top with the remaining pasta.
- 14Sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano and the breadcrumbs.
- 15Bake until bubbling and golden, 50 to 60 minutes.
- 16Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grown up Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 744.1
- Calories from Fat 351
- Total Fat 39.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 108.3 mg
- Sodium 945.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 37.3 g