Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This family favorite is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. Gjetost (pronounced "yay - toast") is also known as Norwegian brown cheese. It can be a little hard to locate, but markets with good cheese sections (such as Whole Foods) usually have it in stock.
- 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 1⁄2 ounces gjetost cheese, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cook turkey in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned and crumbled. Add the onion to the skillet and cook until it's transluscent.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic and thyme, stir well and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the broth and let it come to a slow boil, then add the cheese. Stir with a flat whisk or fork until the cheese has melted and is fully incorporated into the sauce.
- Make a slurry with the cornstarch and an equal amount of cold water. Pour this into the skillet and stir well. Cook another minute or so, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over brown rice with a side of steamed veggies. Delish!