Recipe by Oliver & Fischer's Mommy
We bought ground cherries at our local farmer's market last weekend...They looked so interesting and had such a unique taste. After searching and searching, I found a few recipes for ground cherry pie. This combines the best of a few different recipes. We didn't have quite enough ground cherries to make a large pie, so I used a silicone cupcake mold and made mini pies. Delicious served alone or with icecream!
For the pie crust
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the pie filling
- 2 1⁄2 cups of ground cherries, husks removed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- For the crust: Combine flour and salt in a food processor.
- Slowly add cubes of chilled butter.
- Slowly add ice water until the dough forms a ball.
- Roll out the dough for the pie crust bottom and place in a pie pan.
- There is enough dough to make a lattice or rustic top crust.
- For the filling: Mix cherries, sugar, water, and flour in a bowl.
- Pour into pie pan on top of bottom crust.
- Make lattice or rustic top crust and place on top of filling.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 30 minutes, until the pie filling is set.