This is delicious! The complete casserole (with the crust on) can be prepared up to a day in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake. I used mozzeralla slices for this in place of shredded mozzeralla... add in any of your other favorites also.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- seasoning salt (can use table salt)
- 2 cups favorite pizza sauce
- 1⁄4 lb pepperoni, chopped (can use more)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 cup canned mushroom, drained
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef with onion, garlic and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in 3 tablespoons (or more) grated Parmesan cheese; stir to combine.
- Add in pizza sauce, chopped pepperoni, herb seasoning and mushrooms; mix to combine and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile in another bowl combine milk, oil and eggs; beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Stir in flour, salt and cayenne; mix to combine; set aside.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle grated mozzeralla cheese on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped bacon.
- Pour the batter over cheese, spreading evenly to cover completely.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Up to this point you can cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
I had wrong expectations of this. I thought the batter poured on top would bake up on the bottom, creating a bottom crust. It does not do that - it stays on top. BUT this is a really good pizza casserole, that the kids and I really enjoyed this afternoon. I did make a major change though in that I didn't add either the pepperoni nor the bacon. Once I had poured the meat sauce into the pan, it certainly looked like enough and, in order to cut some calories, I left it there and proceeded with the recipe without pepperoni and bacon. Worked out just fine for us and I'm glad to have saved a few calories!
great recipe but instead of flour i added 1 bag of cooked egg noodles and instead of parmesan used chedder . hi kitten great recipe
I guess the reason I didn't care for this was the texture of the crust. It was not nice and light like I imagined it would be. It was very heavy and dense. The flavor was ok, just didn't like the crust.