Upside Down Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
photo by Lori Mama
- Ready In:
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 5 ounces turkey pepperoni, slices
- 3 -4 ounces low fat mozzarella, shredded
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) package grands homestyle refrigerated reduced-fat buttermilk biscuits, separated and cut into fourths
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare baking dish (I use a 1.75qt oval baker).
- Over medium heat, combine the ground beef, onion and garlic in a large skillet until beef is browned.
- Add the mushrooms, olives, pepperoni and tomato sauce and heat through.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Top randomly with biscuit pieces.
- Bake 15-18 minutes until biscuits are browned and casserole is bubbly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made a few substitutes in the recipe: turkey instead of beef, garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, and spagetti sauce instead of pizza sauce. The saddest part, however, was that I had to make it without pepperoni because I forgot to buy some at the store. Despite the lack of pepperoni, this recipe was delicious. It may have been the dish I used, but there wasn't quite enough room for all of the biscuit dough (I had two left over). I cooked mine for about 15 mins, till the biscuits were just golden on top (they were still pretty doughy on the bottom, but I prefer them that way). Since there's only 2 of us in the house, I have plenty of leftovers for lunch- I'm sure it's just as good the 2nd go-round. Thank you for this tasty recipe.<br/><br/>**update** This recipe has become one of our favorites, and we've made it several times since. My husband even made it for a company food day, and it was gone in a matter of minutes. We both love it so much we fight over the leftovers. Defintiely a keeper!
I made this last night and it was teriffic!! I used italian sausage instead of ground beef and I also added green peppers. I omitted the mushrooms and olives, and this still was great!! It really did taste like pizza. My hubbie loved it, he even ate the leftovers for breakfast this morning. Thanks so much for posting. One question, the biscuits on the bottom never quite cook all the way through. Any ideas?? I leave it in for longer but then the tops sometimes get too "done?" Either way, I love this!