Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hollanders like plain, substantial food and lots of it. This tasty vegetable dish comes from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 cup dried navy beans, soaked overnight
- 3 quarts green beans, cut in thin slices diagonally across
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Drain navy beans, place in kettle; cover with water and cook until tender (about 2 hours).
- About 15 minutes before the navy beans are done, add sliced green beans.
- Drain well; add butter and seasonings, to taste.