Recipe by Robin in Kansas
This is the very best sandwich I have ever eaten...and I made it! I got this recipe from the July 2008 issue of Redbook magazine and have made it 3 times in the last 3 weeks. Fresh basil from the garden and mayo are the most important ingredients in this recipe. All other ingredients could be easily substituted to your tastes.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick lengthwise slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick lengthwise slices
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch-thick lengthwise slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 loaf ciabatta, about 12x7 size, split horizontally
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves or 2 cups Baby Spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat outdoor grill.
- Brush vegetables lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables over medium heat 3 to 8 minutes per side, or until tender and lightly charred. Transfer to a large plate.
- Cut bell pepper into strips.
- In a food processor, mince garlic. Add basil and mayonnaise and process until blended. Add Parmesan cheese and pulse to combine.
- Tear out soft part of bread and discard. Spread cut sides of bread with aioli. Layer each vegetable on bottom half of bread. Top with mozzarella, greens and bread top. Cut into 6 sandwiches.