Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yummy steak sandwiches with sweet sauteed onions. Freezes easily, kids loved it!
- 2 lbs flank steaks, about 1 1/2-inch thick, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ciabatta rolls
- 4 large onions, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, garlic, course salt and pepper.
- Pat steaks dry, brush with oil, and rub with sugar mixture.
- Marinate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile, cook the sauce: heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large, deep skillet on medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, onions should be very brown.
- Add sugar and vinegar and cook gently, adding water as needed until onions are "melted". Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill steaks for 4-6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Let them rest on cutting board.
- Slice thinly on the diagonal.
- Serve on Ciabatta rolls, top with onions.
- To freeze place steaks in freezer safe container at the marinating stage. Freeze onions and rolls separately.
It was sweet and it wasn't hard at all to make. I let the onions cook a little longer than it suggested, and my picky eater husband LOVED it!