Recipe by SummerThyme
The California Grill's signature dish is a grilled pork tenderloin with polenta and balsamic smothered mushrooms. Cook just the pork tenderloin or complete the actual full recipe with everything! Challenging but cheaper than a trip to Anaheim, CA!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 head garlic, diced and saut
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups polenta (less if you prefer a softer texture)
- 1 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh herb (equal parts thyme, rosemary, sage, and chives, if using dried herbs, cut proportions in half)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs assorted mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- PORK TENDERLOIN.
- You will need one-third to one-half pound of fresh, not previously frozen, tenderloins per person. Coat the tenderloins with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Sear in a hot cast-iron skillet, browning on all sides. Set aside for later grilling, reserving pan juices.
- MUSTARD BUTTER FOR PORK:.
- Combine butter, dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, Salt, pepper until well blended. Set aside. Makes enough to coat 3 to 4 pounds of pork tenderloin.
- Sauté onion in a small amount of olive oil until transparent. Stir in garlic, then add water, milk and cream and bring to a boil. Whisk in polenta slowly, stirring until thick and bubbling. Continue to stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let thicken for 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a pan and bake at 275 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and fold in cheeses and herbs. Add salt and pepper and pour into a crock to serve.
- BALSAMIC SMOTHERD MUSHROOMS:.
- Place shallots in a saut_ pan with the reserved pork tenderloin pan juices. Sauté, stirring, then deglaze the pan with the wine and vinegar. Reduce liquid by half, then add the stock and continue cooking until liquid has reached a light glaze consistency.
- Wash, slice and season the assorted mushrooms with a little olive oil. (Pleau uses criminis at the California Grill, but thinks portobellos, oysters and shiitakes all work well, too.) Spread the mushrooms out on a grill rack and place over low heat. Cover for a few minutes to lightly smoke the mushrooms. Combine the mushrooms with the reduced liquid and set aside.
- Next, grill the tenderloins over a low to medium fire, turning frequently to lightly brown on all sides (approximately 20 minutes). Baste occasionally with the mustard butter and continue to grill until the tenderloins reach desired doneness.
- To serve, place a cup of polenta on each plate. Slice the tenderloins into thick coins and place five coins in the center of the polenta. Ladle the balsamic mushroom sauce over the coins and top with a few leaves of sage or parsley.