Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from Good Housekeeping's Quick & Simple magazine May 27, 2008
Make and share this Grilled Pitas With Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- In a large nonstick skillet, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, sugar, salt, and cook stirring frequently, until onions are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often until onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes longer.
- Preheat grill.
- In a cup stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, tarragon, and thyme.
- Brush cut sides of pitas with the herb mixture.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese crumbs over the pitas and top with the caramelized onions.
- Place pitas on grill rack over low heat, and grill until bottoms are crisp and topping is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- To serve sprinkle with parsley and cut into wedges.
This recipe is simple and yummy! I didn't cut the pita bread in half, I just kept it whole. I only had 1 onion, so I cooked that up and it was plenty for 3 pitas. I didn't use as much goat cheese as recommended to save calories and saturated fat, but it still turned out great. I didn't have tarragon, so I left that out. I didn't have fresh parsley, so I sprinkled on lots of dried and it was perfect. I don't have a BBQ (live upstairs in an apartment with no balcony), so I used our oven broiler and it was PERFECT. Thanks for sharing, I'll be making this again and again and again :)
This is very good. I didn't cut the pita bread. I did half the recipe with 1 large red onion and I used the same amount of oil. Thanks Shelby Jo :) Made for PRMR tag game
I cut the recipe back for one, and I think I didn't cut back the amount of tarragon enough (probably because I love tarragon)! My first bite was questionable, but after that, I couldn't quit eating it. I loved it. Easy recipe to cut back for one. Thanks for posting!