- In a large pot boil about 2 gallons of water.
- Add one live lobster and cover.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove lobster with tongs and return water to boiling.
- Add 2nd lobster.
- Cook three minutes and remove with tongs.
- Turn lobsters upside down and cut lengthwise from the tip of the tail through the head (you may need to use poultry sheers to cut the tail portion of the shell).
- Place lobster halves, shell side down, on a medium hot grill and baste with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover grill and cook for about 8-9 minutes or until the meat in the thickest part of the tail turns opaque.
- Serve with melted butter in dunking bowls and lemon wedges.
we boiled some and grilled some....we enjoyed the grilled much more!
I asked the man at the supermarket to kill them and split them in half for me. That saved me a lot of time and effort. If you cut the head off, you have about 24 hours to cook them so don't worry about them spoiling very quickly because the head is where the poison is. I just brushed them with some "Tarragon Garlic Butter" (another recipe from this site), sprinkled with salt and pepper and voila! Gourmet dinner with minimum effort. Also, I thought that the meat was much more tender than when I boil or steam lobsters. Thank you.
There is no need to cook lobsters live. Simply use a sharp knife and insert it swiftly and carefully into the lobster head, in the back behind the eyes. This will peirce the brain, killing the lobster instantly. Many fine restaurants prep in this way in order to avoid problems of cruelty