Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Canadian Living.
- 8 slices French bread or 8 slices Italian bread
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces old cheddar cheese
- 4 slices sweet onions
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Spread 1 side of each slice of bread with mustard.
- Using a cheese slicer, thinly slice cheese; arrange half on half of the bread slices.
- Top with onion and remaining cheese.
- Sandwich with remaining bread, mustard sidedown.
- Spread butter over both sides of sandwich.
- Place on greased grill over medium-low heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until golden and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Cut in half.
It was my first time trying onion in a grilled cheese. It was great. It was soft just enough. I added a slice of rosemary ham. I grilled it on my panini pan. Thanks Redsie. Made for Gimme 5 tag game
Loved these! Simple but tasty and I love the addition of sweet onions.
I made this great grilled cheese for lunch today. I loved the combination of the old cheddar, dijon mustard and sweet vadallias. They all blended so well together and really compliment one another perfectly. I used Scottish bread but followed your directions, cooking on low with a lid, my grilled cheese was done in 5 minutes. I can't wait to make these for my dh...he's going to love it also...thanks for sharing Redsie.