Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This stew with the mushrooms, tender beef, pungent onions and the aroma and flavor of bay leaves makes for a wonderful meal. Comfort food at its best! Please do not be intimidated by the number of "direction steps" listed. I always try to make the directions for my recipes very specific and detailed, so even the inexperienced chef can easily follow them and create a meal to be proud about serving.
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium size golden onions, coarsely chopped
- 7 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 medium size golden onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a medium-size bowl.
- Toss the beef pieces in the flour mixture, a few pieces at a time, until they are all coated.
- Heat one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of oil in a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent.
- Remove onions from the skillet with a slotted spoon and deposit them in a large oven proof casserole.
- Add the remaining butter and oil to the skillet and increase the heat to high.
- Cook the beef in the hot butter and oil, a few pieces at a time, until well browned on all sides.
- As the beef pieces are browned, remove them from the skillet and add them to the onions in the casserole.
- Pour the beef broth into the skillet and stir over moderate heat, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to loosen any browned particles.
- Then, add the broth to the casserole with the bay leaves.
- Cover and cook in the heated oven for two hours.
- Take a little break.
- Then, while the casserole is cooking in the oven, make the dumplings.
- Put the bread crumbs in a medium size bowl and add just enough water to moisten them.
- Add the beaten eggs along with the remaining ingredients and mix will.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Roll the mixture between the palms of your hands into balls about 2 inches in diameter.
- When the casserole has been in the oven for two hours, remove it from the oven and stir in the mushrooms.
- Add some frozen green beans and/or carrots, if desired.
- Scatter the dumplings evenly over the surface of the stew so that they are partially submerged.
- Return the stew to the oven and cook, uncovered, for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve the stew and dumplings in heated bowls.
- Dinner rolls and an ice cold crispy green salad, served on chilled plates, make this a meal to remember.