Recipe by grandma2969
This has been in my family for a lot of years...
Top Review by Ceezie
This is a good bread. I did make quite a few changes however. I used 3 cups chopped tomatos, cranberries instead of raisins, applesause instead of water, brown sugar instead of white and half ap flour half wheat. Oh and no cloves. What came out was a tasty bread. I do wish that I had added the water because it could have used the added moisture. This made one bundt pan and 1 loaf pan. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 8 -10 medium green tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup seedless raisin
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 2⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, chopped and lightly toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core green tomatoes.
- Discard seeds.
- Run cut-up pieces through a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- You should have 2 cups of pulp.
- Set raisins to soak in 2/3 cup boiling water and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar till fluffy. Add eggs, 2 cups of tomato pulp and the plumped raisins and the water they soaked inches Beat well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves and nuts.
- Add, one cup at a time, to mixture in large bowl, stirring well after each addition.
- Divide batter into 2 9X5 loaf pans and bake in 350* oven for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10-15 minutes. and then leave on rack to cool completely.