A recipe by chef Cyrus Todiwala, from a television programme called Saturday kitchen. This was served with cumin pilau rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cm piece cassia
- 4 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 4 cloves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cm gingerroot, finely grated
- 2 green chilies, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 150 ml water
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 50 g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 110 g ground almonds
- 5 -6 fresh curry leaves (roughly chopped)
- 500 g tiger shrimp, shells removed
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander leaves
- 1Heat a heavy-bottomed casserole, and add oil, when hot add the cardamom, cloves and cassia bark.
- 2Cook for one minute on medium heat.
- 3Add the sliced onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent, make sure the onion does not brown.
- 4Add the garlic, ginger and green chillies, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- 5Mix the turmeric, ground cumin and ground coriander with the water to make a paste, and add to the pot.
- 6Place the coconut milk, ground almonds and cashew nuts into a food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste, add a little water if required to give it a single cream consistency.
- 7As soon as the liquid has reduced down in the pot, add the coconut milk mixture and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes, add the curry leaves, and bring to the boil, stirring slowly.
- 8Add salt, to taste, and simmer for 1-2 minutes, then add the prawns, continue to cook for a further 1-2 minutes, before removing the saucepan from the heat.
- 9Sit for 5-6 minutes, while the latent heat of the curry cooks prawns.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Prawn Curry
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.8
- Calories from Fat 464
- Total Fat 51.5 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 157.5 mg
- Sodium 810.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods