Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
From a package of frozen green peas. Use the best quality green peas you can find. I changed the ingredients around a little. For less heat, use a mild pepper such as Anaheim.
- 8 ounces frozen tiny peas
- 1 jalapeno peppers (seeded for less heat) or 1 serrano pepper, chopped (seeded for less heat)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice or 1 teaspoon lemon juice, approximately
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 roma tomato, diced very small
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream (optional, my addition. Non-fat plain yogurt or tofu sour cream can be substituted.)
- cilantro leaf (to garnish)
- Cook the frozen peas according to package directions. Drain and pat dry well to remove excess moisture.
- Add the jalapeno pepper, olive oil, lemon juice to a blender and puree well. Next add the cooked green peas, salt, ground cumin and garlic.
- Continue blending, scraping down sides of blender and mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to serving bowl and stir in tomatoes, onion (and sour cream if desired for a smoother consistency). Taste and adjust seasoning; garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs.
- Yield is estimated.
Made this today w my 6 y/o. Substituted a few things based on what I had in my cabinet; added a lot more seasoning (I'm from Louisiana; we eat spice). Slamming!!! My kid is eating the heck out of it too. Didn't have so didn't use: jalapenos, red onion Exchanged: 1 c. diced cherry tomatoes for the roma tomato, 4 cubes frozen garlic for the clove of garlic, lemon juice for lime, kosher salt for regular salt Added: soy sauce, cayenne pepper, ground red pepper, diced red and yellow bell peppers, 2 cubes of frozen cilantro. -Kim