Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from America's Favorite Resorts Cookbook. This recipe is from The Rancho Encantado in Santa Fe, New Mexico and is one of my most requested recipes.
- 1360.77 g stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g can pinto beans
- 283.49 g can tomatoes
- 236.59 ml water
- 2 (226.79 g) can green chilies
- 44.37 ml beef bouillon granules
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- 118.29 ml shredded white cheddar cheese or 118.29 ml monterey jack cheese
- 6-8 flour tortillas
- Brown beef and onions in oil in large saucepan.
- Add beans, tomatoes, water, chilies, beef granules, sugar and garlic, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Ladle into individual bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve with warmed tortillas.
I have been looking for the recipe for quite a while! I use to have the resorts cook book but lost it when we moved 3 years ago. This stew was enjoyed by my entire family and friends! So very happy to find it again. Thank you Vicki!!!
This is a wonderful stew that really hit the spot on a cold winter day. I cut the bouillon granules to 1 1/2 tablespoons and that amount worked fine for us. We loved the green chilies in this stew. Wonderful, and I can't wait to make it again. Thanks for sharing this, Vicki in Kansas Brown.
This is pretty good. A little to salty for me, so next time I'll cut back on the bouillon amount. Everything else was good.