Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipes satisfies the need for a homey cheesy chili casserole. I adapted it from the weight watchers vegetarian cookbook. The orig version used dairy and had 5 pts per serving. I would think this version would be about 5 pts also. My husband (not a vegan) really liked this recipe, and could not tell that the "cheese" was soy based.
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon seeded minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons tofutti better-than-cream-cheese
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- cooking spray
- cilantro (optional)
- 4 ounces grated monterey jack-style soy cheese (optional)
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add veggie broth and next 3 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; add rice, stirring well.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in tofutti better-than-cream-cheese, pimiento and garlic powder.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spoon mixture into a 1-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with soy cheese if using.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.