Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious and different stew!
Make and share this Green Chile-Chicken Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups cubed red potatoes (1/2-inch, about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions (about 1 large)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove chicken from broth; remove chicken from bones, discarding bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to broth. Discard bay leaves.
- Add potato and next 9 ingredients (potato through tomatoes and chiles) to broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until potato is done. Remove from heat; stir in milk. Ladle soup into individual bowls, and sprinkle with cheese.
I made this tonight for dinner and we loved it. My little ones thought it was spicey though. What do they know they are 4 and 2. I will make this again but next time I will cut back on the green chilies and tomatoes. Two cans of tomatoes was a bit much for us. This was very tasty. Thanks wicked noodle!