Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Fresh green cabbage and mushrooms, what's there not to like! Tasty side dish to pork chops.
- 1 green cabbage, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushrooms (although button mushrooms will work good as well. ) or 1⁄2 lb oyster mushroom (although button mushrooms will work good as well. )
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed into
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- In a covered pot over high heat, steam the cabbage in the stock for 5 minutes until it is just wilted and still bright green. Turn off the heat and remove cover.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion and mushrooms until they brown. Add the cabbage and heat through, mixing well.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture well, and add it to skillet.
- Bring mixture to boil, stirring, until liquid thickens.
- Reduce heat and season to taste with dill, paprika, salt, and pepper.
I loved this combination of ingredients. The paprika and dill (I used fresh) were perfect together. I used 10 oz of button mushrooms. This was easy to make, delicious and lowfat. It's a wonderful side dish, but I could eat this all by itself. Thanx for sharing. I'll make this again and use some of the other types of mushrooms listed.
This was so easy and so delicious! I had this along side a vegie-stuffed red bell pepper. What a healthy meal. I loved the flavor of the dill and what it added to the dish! I just used regular sliced, white mushrooms that I picked up yesterday at the grocery store. Thanks so much for the great side dish! :)