This is just yummmm, fast & serves as a nice foil for a more unctuous meal (think pork ragu) or as part of a lighter meal allround.
- 1 lb fresh green beans or 1 lb frozen green beans
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped (or use frozen chopped onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, shelled
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Snap ends off beans; cut in half if beans are large. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the beans, onion, garlic, salt, if using, and pepper.
- Bring back to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook about 8 minutes, until the beans are crisp-tender; drain.
- Sprinkle the sunflower seeds and oregano over the beans. Toss lightly to mix.