Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tender fresh string beans sprinkled with fresh basil leaves and ricotta salata and coated with a homemade mustard vinaigrette. Feta cheese can be substituted if ricotta salata is not available.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, plus
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces string beans, stem ends trimmed
- 1 ounce ricotta cheese, crumbled
- 10 small fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- Cook beans in boiling water with 1 1/2 tsp salt, about 4 minutes, until just tender; drain and immerse in an ice bath; drain, pat dry and place in bowl with cheese and basil leaves.
- Whisk mustard, vinegar, oil, remaining 1/8 tsp salt, and pepper until oil is emulsified; pour over beans and toss to coat.
Just happened to pick up some ricotta salata on a recent "gourmet" shopping trip, and this was a great recipe to break it in. Doubled the amount of beans and vinaigrette, but didn't care for the fresh basil in this. Very good; will make again.